5 Things Roofers Don't Want you to Know
1. Most roofers re-use your existing felt and keep the insurance proceeds for the new felt to increase their profit margins. We install brand new felt and IWS in the valleys and around penetrations of every roofing job.
2. Your insurance includes enough money from waste to upgrade your material selections in MOST categories. This means LIFETIME Dimensional Shingles should be standard in conjunction with High Profile Hip & Ridge Shingles not cheap 3-Tabs.
3. Your insurance company paid to replace ALL of your vents. Most roofers never even change these out instead they simply use spray paint to cover the deficiencies and make them look new again. Your insurance company paid your roofer to have all of them replaced with brand new ones and painted to match. If you still notice dents in the vent caps or vent shaft, especially on furnace vent stacks, you got ripped off.
4. Insurance companies authorize the replacement of ALL metal flashings because they can corrode over time. Most roofers simply don't replace any of the flashings and keep the insurance money. All step flashings and drip edge should be replaced with brand new metal. Your insurance pays for this to be painted also. So your roofer installing anything that is galvanized and shiny and tacky looking is a bad sign. It should have been painted. Your insurance company paid for that.
5. They purposely give you a 5 or 10 year warranty so they can have you make an insurance claim once every 5 or 10 years. This is a black eye in our industry currently. the lesser the Labor warranty the lesser the quality of roof. There is a reason it is only deemed to last 5 or 10 years instead of the LIFETIME we offer. They purposely install an inferior roof go back after 5 years and instruct you to have your insurance company buy you a new one. What happens the next time after that when you need to make a legitimate claim? Your insurance company won't be too happy and may drop you for filing too many claims.